Who are the Gifted?
According to the Education Queensland Framework for Gifted Education: Students who are gifted excel, or are capable of excelling, in one or more areas such as general intelligence, specific academic studies, visual and performing arts, physical ability, creative thinking, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Giftedness in a student is commonly characterised by an advanced pace of learning, quality of thinking or capability for remarkably high standards of performance compared to students of the same age. Although these students are capable of outstanding achievement, the learning environment is pivotal to enabling them to demonstrate and develop their abilities. Students who are gifted are at risk of underachieving and disengaging from learning if they are not identified and catered for appropriately.
Objectives for students who are gifted:
- A greater awareness of the prevalence and specific needs of students who are gifted
- The identification of all students who are gifted regardless of their ethnicity, location, (dis)ability, gender or economic status
- Meeting the specific needs of students who are gifted and improving their learning outcomes
- Cooperation and collaboration among teachers, parents/carers, students, education administrators and community to ensure students who are gifted have opportunities to develop their abilities.
In support of these objectives, Hilliard SS will strive to ensure:
- There is a rigorous and justifiable identification process in place
- There is maximum collaboration between all stakeholders
- The needs of gifted students are considered during planning to improve the learning outcome for all children
- Teachers are encouraged to differentiate the curriculum to challenge gifted students
- Students are aware of their giftedness and actively seek opportunities to realise their potential for outstanding achievement.
Our school also offers a range of extra-curricular activities, which can support these students. We invite all students at our school to identify activities that they may like to participate in.